Thursday, March 6, 2008

Vintage Fun



I bought this vintage trim years ago on ebay and just could not wait to get it! I was so disappointed though when it arrived in the mail. It looked nothing like it did in the picture and it arrived in a rumpled up ball like the one pictured here. Not that I didn't think it, I did. Just not for the project I had gotten it for. I remember spending a good part of an afternoon trying to get it all untangled, only to get so frustrated with it I put it back into the bag it came in and tossed it in the back of a closet. I discovered it again this week and just fell in love with it! Does that ever happen to you? See something, love it. Get it, its awful and then re-discover it only to finally see it's beauty and potential? That's what I did. It was still all tangled like this, so I spent about an hour yesterday untangling it. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it. I immediately thought of a great project for it too.



This is a baby jacket my great-grandmother completely handmade for my mother ages ago. This picture really does not do it justice. It's beautiful though with her hand embroidery, satin lining and crotchet work on the edges. There is not one machine stitch on it. OH, to be able to embroider and sew like she did! I never met her, but I've been told we're very similar in looks ad personality. Must be where I get my love of hand-sewing from. Anyway, I am planning on drafting a pattern based on this jacket she made and use some of that delightful vintage trim on it. I will post more about it as I go along. I just hope I can get the vision in my head out on paper and fabric the way I would like.

2 comments:

  1. That little jacket is beautiful! It's always tricky getting the vision from one's head to the project, isn't it? I struggle with that too.

    Found you through the blog party. Your bloggie is so wonderful! Look forward to reading more!

    Melissa~
    Pink Paper Peppermints

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is beautiful!!! I love re-finding things, too, and finding a new love for them as well.

    ReplyDelete