Thursday, November 20, 2008

Embroidery Hoopla!

There once was a very sad wall (that for the life of me I could not get a decent picture of being how the lighting was). It was blank and lonely.



It desperately needed something....poor, lonely wall above my bed. We recently repainted the master bedroom with a calm blue. We added some chocolate brown curtains and it all worked well together. However, what to do with that wall about drove me nuts!
Our beds headboard is lacking a little. Just straight and nondescript, really. I saw this one print of tulips at IKEA that seemed perfect, but I was afraid our room would look more like something out of their catalogue. Not that that's too terrible a thing, I just wanted something a little more personalized-ish. More us. More me?



I remembered seeing a fun idea here a while back, so I thought I'd give it a try.



I also had some fabric that I bought like four or more years ago ( wow!) that I had intended for another project that never came to fruition, so it sat in my stash waiting.....



Waiting for me to stop arranging the embroidery hoops I picked up at a newly opened Hobby Lobby just down the way from me. How convenient!



Then, Tada!



Another view. For the life of me, I could not get the pictures to take quite like the light in the room looked. I had to brighten them up a bit, but still does not do it justice. You can also see how blah our headboard is in this pic. However, now the wall is no longer lonely.



I only had the two prints to work with. I got five hoops and nothing else in my stash really worked well for the fifth hoop, so I took some natural linen I had and embroidered it with our initials. I know, so cheesy, but it works. And, I'm sappy like that. But it adds just the personal touch I was going for and it blends together just nice.

The embroidery hoops worked out well for this. Although, I have to say I would not have wanted to use them for actual embroidery. They were pretty rough and splintery. Good for this type of project though. And they were inexpensive enough to not break the bank dressing up a wall.

I think what I like best about this, is that I can change it out if I were to ever want to. For now though I will just enjoy the no longer lonely wall, with pretty fabrics now artfully displayed in embroidery hoops....

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. gives me an idea for my empty bedroom. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how that turned out!

    ReplyDelete