Monday, January 10, 2011

A Glimpse of Her

A couple weeks ago I was going through some boxes my dad had given me that once belonged to his mother. My grandmother.

A grandmother whom I never really knew. She is his mother...his adoptive mom.
(over HERE is a little more about this story...about the distance that once was)

I think I truly would have loved her. I feel we had a lot in common, blood related or not.

With all the sewing things was this box.
I opened the box to find an array of different items like buttons, some dice (not sure what for?!), sewing needles, knitting and crochet needles and hooks and an old wool felt pin cushion.


I stared at these items, getting just a glimpse of this woman who raised my father. A woman I so, so very much wanted to know and know more about.

I know she was from Spain and her name was Zulia. I know she loved sewing and knitting and crotchet work.

I know we would have gotten along well and I would have loved to learn just some of the things she knew about sewing.

I know that, even though we were not related by blood, that we would have had plenty in common to talk about while we sewed.

I also know that, even though she is no longer with us, I have a glimpse of who she was within these items....I know I would have loved her.

We would have gotten along splendidly.

2 comments:

  1. Found your lovely blog and shop through gussy! I am lusting after those rings and necklaces I hope I can buy some soon!!

    How exciting to be able to get a glimpse of the grandmother you never met, I often wonder what my family members are like who I've never met

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your lovely blog and shop through gussy! I am lusting after those rings and necklaces I hope I can buy some soon!!

    How exciting to be able to get a glimpse of the grandmother you never met, I often wonder what my family members are like who I've never met

    ReplyDelete