Friday, November 20, 2009

Happy Friday?


Typically I really like Fridays. We get a "happy friday" email from our caseworker at the adoption agency and I always look forward to getting that. I also love our Friday family night together, whether it's watching a movie or playing games, it is always a time I look forward to.

This Friday however, I am not my typical Happy Friday self and am feeling slightly overwhelmed. Both in a good way and a not so good way. I find myself at the end of the week with a growing list of household to-do's. To-do's I simply didn't manage to get to this week....like dusting. It might not seem like much, but with my boys and their allergies, it can matter. And the growing pile of laundry....yet, I am also thankful for the clothes and people that wear the clothes, that then dirty them...for me to clean. I wouldn't change it at all.

Then there is the overwhelming feeling of the approaching holidays. Getting plans arranged between and around my divorced parents and trying to make sure everyone is happy and taken care of. I hate hurting peoples feelings, but sometimes something has to give! At the same time in the midst of that stress, I am looking forward to my sister, her kiddos, my kiddo and my Gramms getting together and baking pies in my tiny little kitchen. Oh the hilarious sight we are and the laughs to be had as we maneuver around one another whilst baking. Definitely a joy.

Then there is the never ending, and seemingly growing, list of handmade gifts I am working on. One very important one for my son who cannot wait to see the quilt mommy is working on. Amazingly enough, he asked to be surprised with it and for me NOT to tell him anything about it. You see, we typically plan things out together, but I like being able to surprise him with this. Now...let's just hope it turns out OK and in time!

And, I really do need to get working on it more. You see, this year we are opening gifts a little early. We like to focus on Jesus on Christmas Day. Not that there is anything wrong with opening gifts Christmas Eve or morning as many do. Just this year, we have decided not to. Really, our son asked if we could not so that we could celebrate Jesus more. Why not?! I kinda like the idea. We'll go with it and see how it all turns out.

Meanwhile, the last several years we "give a present" to Jesus for His birthday by giving to others in ways such as Operation Christmas Child and taking baked goods to others in need. Spending time and just sharing a little of our lives with them.

So, maybe after all it is a Happy Friday. In anticipation of the coming week, I know I have so very much to be Thankful for.

How 'bout you? What are things that might overwhelm, yet bless you at the same time?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I have a friend who suffered a closed head injury and was unable to see or hear well for a while after. He was in bad shape and his then wife left him. Years later he remarried my dear friend who had a daughter. He always HATED dishes left in the sink until he was all alone. Now those same dishes make him thankful that there is someone else's dishes to worry about. This post reminded me of that again AND reminded me to be thankful for the sippy cups that are waiting for me in my own sink. :)

    Thanks and have a great day! Good luck with the quilt!

    ReplyDelete