Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Days Of The Week

Okay, so that is really not an exciting title there, is it? Oh well, I could not think of a better one. Heck, I'm just glad to be sitting down for more than one minute to actually do a blog post! Did ya miss me? I had not planned on being MIA quite so long! However, life does happen and as always with me, family comes first. Which, in doing so, I was able to get us a little bit more organized for school days. Yippee! A little more organization in the morning can never be a bad thing, right?

I realized my son really needed a way to get ready more independently in the mornings. He's perfectly capable, just needed some additional tools to help out. I actually thought about getting one of those cubby organizer deals that hang in the closet for the days of the week to put the kiddos clothes in, but honestly did not want to spend the money on it. Also, I wanted something more at Monkey Boy's eye level that was easier for him, which was kinda the whole point of doing this anyway. SO, here is what I was up to last week...making days of the week closet hangers!




I had a couple packs of 5x7 foam sheets, so I thought they would do the trick with a total bonus being I didn't have to spend anything extra on them.



I decided to go with a "door hanger" kinda deal, but for the closet. So I took some poster board and traced a rectangle and cut out a circle for the template.



Then I traced it for each day M-F. I used two shades of green, simply because I did not have enough of just one color for the whole week.






I thought about using some blue foam for the letters, but didn't want to risk them falling off at some point. I think there is a special type of adhesive to use when gluing foam to foam, not sure, but didn't have any, so I went with the next best thing for what I had to work with.



With the poster board came some letter templates, so I grabbed a marker ( I know, very high tech around here) traced it and colored it in.



Voila!



Then I hung them on the lower bar in the closet. This way, we pick out his clothes for the week and hang them behind each letter for the day. Makes a nice way for him to just glance at the day (M-T-W-TH-F) grab his clothes and get dressed! We're on week two now of using these and so far, so good!

Now, on to making the knees of my kids jeans and pants last a little longer this year. It's still too hot here to even think about long pants, but I need to get them done before then anyway. Be back later for some show 'n' tell on that later....

9 comments:

  1. Clever Idea. Can I do that for myself it sure would make getting dressed in the morning easier for ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did miss your posts! And what a great idea, I'm totally keeping these days of the week clothes separators in my 'for future' file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea! I'll have to give this a try when the little missy decides to become more independent about clothes. Right now, she's pretty good about picking one of the two options I give her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would love these for myself hahahah...but i think i will make them form wood maybe to lastlonger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea ... I was thinking of doing this with those closet organizers you use for sweaters ... they have individual cubbies and this way you could add socks and undies for the days of the week too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea- I'm going to do that to my baby clothes- 0-3 months, 3-6 months, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I popped over from Tip Junkie - what a clever idea! I love the way you created this yourself. I use something called a "clothes kid". When we are packing for a trip, I have my son lay out a "clothes kid" on the floor from the socks on up. Then we roll it all up with the socks and underwear inside and put a rubber band around it - voila! An entire outfit all ready to go. I just have to tell him how many days we'll be gone and what weather to pack for and he can pack his own suitcase with minimal help from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How have I missed this post? This is genius. I will definitely have to do this when the boys start school. :)

    ReplyDelete